Saturday, January 1, 2011

Wish List #1: Flintstones the Surprise at Dinosaur Peak (NES)


First of all Happy New year to the few if any who read my blog! At the start of the year I try to figure out what I would like to add to my collection(s). The Surprise at Dinosaur Peak is a game that has been on the list since 1994.

It all started back in the early 90's when the first Flintstones game was released. My sister and I rented it non stop from Jumbo Video in hopes of beating it (we never did at the time). It quickly became my favourite NES game. I knew a sequel was being released in 1994 but I never saw it come it. I learned later that the sequel was a rental only exclusive and was not available to purchase in retail outlets. When Video stores cleared out there NES stock in the mid 90's the limited quantity was released into the secondary market.


Final Boss Fight in the Rescue of Dino and Hoppy

In 1995 I actually held Flintstones the Surprise at Dinosaur Peak in my hands and played it for a very brief few moments, one of the happiest few moments of my life. I asked my Dad to buy it for me but he refused to pay $40 and the seller would not negotiate for any less.

Fast forward to 2011 and this is still the only time I've ever seen the game in front of me with my own eyes. I've tracked sales on EBay and the game regularly sells for $200+. I could easily put down the money for the game and win it on EBay but I simply cannot do that to myself. I've put in a lot of time and effort to track the game down in person since that day in 1995 and I owe it to myself to have that incredible feeling after finding it and then holding it in my hand right away. I hope that some day I find the game, owned by someone who does not know it's value, buy it for $10 and then high five my imaginary 1995 self.

It's sad but on tough days, I think about this game and it keeps me going. It's one of those things on my list that I need to do before I die or else my life would not be complete. It may not be on the top of the list, but it's there.

No comments:

Post a Comment